[Snort-users] license Question

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Mon Jun 30 15:04:02 EDT 2003

At 12:18 PM 6/30/2003 -0700, Sh J wrote:
>Hello u all,
>
>My question concern the leagal issue of snort.
>If i want to give a paying customers support for snort that's include
>installing and maintenance(remote&local) .
>Whar r my limits?

Note: I'm not a lawyer, if you want a proper legal opinion, you should ask
a lawyer not me.

Really you should read the LICENSE file that comes with snort for the full
terms and details (it's GPL v2)

I'd advise particular attention to sections 1, 3 and 6, which seem to cover
parts most relevant to doing installs of unmodified copies of plain snort.

 From my perspective the most important part of all of it is when you are
installing it for them you are technically distributing it and you have to
provide them with the source code, or a written offer to give them the
source code to snort. You also must provide them with a copy of the license.

I'd suggest giving them a CD with an unpacked copy of the complete snort
source you built from, and an additional printed copy of the license. This
should cover several of the stronger clauses of the GPL, but there may be
other requirements that aren't springing immediately to my mind.