[Snort-users] Minimal OS installation for a Snort sensor

Donofrio, Lewis donofrio at ...1052...
Mon Jun 30 05:38:10 EDT 2003

I've used my smoothie for years, enjoy.
Lewis Donofrio at ...1052...      College of Literature, Science, & Arts
1007 East Huron, Room 201,    BetaID:243340     Cell: (734) 323-8776
Ann Arbor,MI 48104-1690 www.umich.edu/~donofrio Fax: (734) 647-8333

-----Original Message-----
From: tim.otten [mailto:tim.otten at ...1296...]
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 10:16 AM
To: 'Francesco'
Cc: snort-users at ...382...
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Minimal OS installation for a Snort sensor

Try: http://www.smoothwall.org/
Or:  http://www.ipcop.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/IPCop/WebHome

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Francesco
Sent: 24 June 2003 06:16
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net

I remember a 20 months old document at SANS by Mr. Metcalf that is a
very
detailed guide for a  mixed Linux/Windows configuration where there are
useful indication for a minimal (Linux RH) OS installation to be used
for
the sensor.
By reducing the number of unnecessary components we can avoid waste of
resources and also reduce the chance that weak components can be a cause
of
failure (vulnerability at first).

Does anyone have his own indication for such configuration with recent
OS
releases (Linux as well as BSD)?

Hope this question can be useful to newbies, but also to experts to
review
their "defaults"

Francesco

Snort-users list archive: