[Snort-users] Re: add verbage about reading faq

JP Vossen vossenjp at ...8683...
Thu Jun 26 14:09:05 EDT 2003

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Brian wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 01:24:47PM -0400, Chris Green wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 26, 2003, JP Vossen wrote:
> > > On a completely different topic, have you seen the threads in the mailing list
> > > about adding more "Read the ^*%& FAQ before posting?"  There is some good
> > > stuff there, and the http://www.snort.org/lists.html page could easily add
> > > that stuff and make a big difference.
> >
> > If we could just add a link to the FAQ and "read this before posting
> > to the mailing lists", things should be a bit happier.
> >
> > Sounds like a great idea to me.
>
> Agreed.  Very good idea.
>
> Done about 3 seconds after reading this.
>
> -brian

THANK YOU, Brian & Chris!!!  Oh, that is a beautiful thing!

Brian, perhaps you can take a peek at [0] for some other related comments and
thoughts.  As you well know, there are tons of sites and tidbits about Snort
out there (including this new and very ugly one [1] :-), and perhaps
referencing a few more on the Official Snort Site would help cut down on the
repetative posting.

Here are my $0.02:

On Snort.org navigation sidebar, change "Mailing Lists" to "Mailing Lists and
Help" or "Mailing Lists and Resources".

On http://www.snort.org/lists.html add something like the following.  I know
you can argue that much of this should be on the docs page, but from the list
volume and repetition it seems evident that lots of people skip the docs page.
:-(

<Stuff to add to the top of http://www.snort.org/lists.html>
	PLEASE search the archives and read the following BEFORE
	posting to any Snort list!  You CAN search the archives for
	keywords, even though it may not look like you can.

	Do not cross post!

	Snort FAQ	http://www.snort.org/docs/FAQ.txt
	ACID FAQ	http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~rdanyliw/snort/acid_faq.html
	MySQL FAQ	http://www.mysql.com/documentation/index.html
			?? http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/index.phtml/fid/52
	PostGres FAQ	http://jamesthornton.com/postgres/FAQ/faq-english.html
	SnortCenter	http://users.pandora.be/larc/documentation/
	IDSCenter	http://www.engagesecurity.com/docs/idscenter/
	IDS PM		http://www.activeworx.com/idspm/faq.htm
	SnortSAM	http://www.snortsam.net/documentation.html

	Search Google and read the Snort-Users Drinking Game
		http://www.theadamsfamily.net/~erek/snort/drinking_game.txt

	If you have read all of the appropriate references above and
	you still have not answered your question, please include the
	following information in your post:
		Version of Snort (snort -V)
		Operating System (e.g. W2K, RedHat 9, Debian Woody)
		Name and version of other tools in use (e.g. ACID,
			SnortCenter, IDSCenter)
		Description of the problem, with trimmed error output as
			needed

	Simplying saying "Snort dosn't work, plse help!" is not going to
	solve your problem and it is going to annoy those who might otherwise
	help you.
</Stuff to add to the top of http://www.snort.org/lists.html>

Thanks again,
JP

[0] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=snort-users&m=105645890903457&w=2
[1] http://www.jpsdomain.org/security/snort.html
JP Vossen, CISSP              |:::======|         jp{at}jpsdomain{dot}org
"The software said it requires Windows XP or better, so I installed
Linux..."