[Snort-users] Snort Users Yahoo Group

Jeff Nathan jeff at ...950...
Fri Jun 20 20:53:41 EDT 2003

Yes, you're right.

the list is slow.  Primary reasons?  The components most users want to get
running are poorly documented and instead asking the authors of these
systems for more complete documentation, sending a message to the support
list for said component (Snortcenter, etc) or searching the mailing list
archives of this list, people post directly to snort-users.  Sourceforge is
also a bit slow but for a free service it's rather remarkable.

In any case, the bulk of the traffic on this list is newbie traffic asking
how to get ACID and/or snortcenter running.  There are only a few
reasonable solutions to the problem.  Ask the developers of these
components to write more documentation, ask the authors of these components
to create their own support lists, create a snort-newbies list, send out a
daily reminder to list members to search the archives BEFORE posting, ask
the user community to contribute high quality documentation on these
components or switch to a moderated list.  Without a change in the near
future in the way the list is utilized by users I fear a moderated list may
be the only viable solution,  Either that or this list will fade into
obscure uselessness.

So, I encourage you to setup a Yahoo list, especially if it's for newbie
questions.  I hate to think moderation is the only way to train users to
search the archives before sending a message that's been answered countless
times in the past.

I also encourage the readers of this list to encourage newbies to search
the archives.  Be cordial but firm.  This is a community effort.  If any of
you are feeling particularly ambitious, high quality documentation on the
aforementioned components would be a big help.

- -Jeff

- --On Thursday, June 19, 2003 16:14:00 -0400 Rodney Green