[Snort-users] Snort statistics - packet drops

Erek Adams erek at ...950...
Thu Jun 19 18:28:07 EDT 2003

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Jaya Shankar wrote:

> I have snort installed in a Solaris server and suddenly the snort stops
> and the snort.log file does not say anything. Which is a good method to
> test or debug the snort.

Well...  It all depends on what's really wrong.  You really didn't give us
any info, so we have to guess at the problem.  Please take a look at this
post [0].  It gives you some _very_ useful tips on how to get a 'good'
answer from the list.

If you're running Snort in daemon mode, you're not going to see anything
on stdout.  It'll just die silently and not report back any errors.  If
you have -D on the command line, then remove it and see what/how/when it
stops.

Give us some more info and we'll be better able to help you.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams

[0]	http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=snort-users&m=104230179003344&w=2