[Snort-users] Snort Users Yahoo Group

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Thu Jun 19 14:30:16 EDT 2003

At 04:15 PM 6/19/2003 -0400, Brian wrote:
>And dividing the user community up is going to do that?  Not likely.
>Slowness of response has nothing to do with the list, a huge portion
>of the slowness (err, lack) of response is people related.

Actualy, some of it does have a lot to do with the list.. round-trip
propogation time for this list, and other sourceforge lists, is HUGE. If I
post a message to the list, often it will not come back to me while I'm
gone for an hour lunch. This propagation delay does set a minimum time to
response. It's impossible for anyone on the list to answer your question
before sourceforge delivers the posts. So it's not entirely fair to exempt
the list delivery time. It is however only one piece of the delay.

I'd also say that those who have a huge problem with the slowness probably
should be buying paid tech support somewhere anyway, although I'll agree a
quicker list would be a hugely positive thing for the community. I
personally object to yahoo's ToS and refuse to post anything of any
technical merit to them (read section 8 of their terms VERY carefully..
especially the last two paragraphs and note the re-inclusion of certain
parts of yahoo groups, after they were previously excluded.)

However, I agree that dividing the community is a bad idea, and expecting
those of us who do understand snort well to spontaneously jump over to
another list merely because you want a faster list. You get a community to
do things together by getting a collective agreement, not a one-man show.