[Snort-users] snort processes

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...7367...
Wed Jun 18 17:00:20 EDT 2003

At 01:45 AM 6/19/2003 +0300, Derya Sezen wrote:

>Everybody knows why Snort executes with more than one
>processes(threads), what are their functions one by one!?
>
>thanx

My advice can be summed up in three words.. "read the source"...

I can't see why you'd need to know this unless you were already working
with the source code anyway.

might I suggest grepping the code for "pthread" as a starting point?

I *think* that OLD snort used to do one thread per interface, and that the
mysql code also cranks off threads, but current snort 2.0.0 only seems to
do one thread plus mysql stuff... however I could be wrong, so if you
really need to know the exact number of threads and why they are there,
read the source code.

My copy of snort 2.0.0 only appears to have one thread, and it does not use
sql logging.