[Snort-users] Snort with three interfaces attached to diferent network segment

artiman at ...9501... artiman at ...9501...
Wed Jun 18 11:06:11 EDT 2003

Hi Folks, I have the following question, I just have one machine to
monitor the activity on three diferent network segments (Redhat 9), so
I plan to to install 3 NIC on the snort machine, setup the interfaces
on promiscous mode without IP information and start to listen each
segment, I'm kinda worried for the security implications because I'm
creating a physcial path between the Internet, DMZ and MZ zones, so
in  theory there is a small probablity of bypass the Firewall using
the snort machine.
Can somebody explain what is the risk that I'm facing using this
architecture, How can I make sure 100% that the Linux will not route
packet between different segments, In wich ways a Hacker can exploit
my network ???

thanks

Artiman