[Snort-users] snort not sending alerts to windows worstations

K Anderson freebsduser at ...4371...
Sun Jun 15 01:23:20 EDT 2003

Inside your snort.conf you need to add the line
output alert_smb: workstation.list

The workstation.list needs to be a file with the NETBIOS name of the
machine(s) you want the alert sent to.

I recompiled snort with the --enable-smbalerts and it worked (2.0.x
snort used) and it never worked before with me.

If you are not sure about the use the alert_smb plugin then go to the
support area at the snort website and you'll see how to work it.

Also if you read the man page the -M option for /snort/ requires a file
name. Inside that /file/ put the NETBIOS names.

I used the output option to get it to work.

HTH