[Snort-users] Promiscious mode + Win2k

Michael Steele michaels at ...9077...
Fri Jun 13 08:25:06 EDT 2003

B,

If you can ping the other boxes then Snort should detect them. It could be
you have a switch, and in that case you won’t see the other systems (check
the model # with the manufacture), and it needs to be auto sensing.

Cheers...

-Michael Steele
--
 System Engineer / Security Support Technician
 mailto:michaels at ...9077...
 Website: http://www.winsnort.com

From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of darniot
benjamin
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2003 3:04 AM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Promiscious mode + Win2k

Hi,

I want to use Snort (or windump...) as a Packet logger under Win2k.

I have installed Winpcap 3.0 to capture IP trafic. My computer belongs to a
small local network (192.168.1.0/24) connected by a hub.

When i start Snort or another packet logger, i see only broadcast or trafic
to my computer. I don't understand why my network's card are not in
promiscious mode. However, Winpcap seems to be correctly installed.

I want to see all the local network's trafic (it's a Hub so it should
work??).

If someone got an idea.

Best regards,

B. Darniot