[Snort-users] error meant

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Wed Jun 11 16:56:08 EDT 2003

At 07:11 PM 6/11/2003 -0500, msmythe at ...9424... wrote:
>BINGO!
>as root i re-make "make install" and add the following path to the command:
>
>snort -dev -l log -h xxx.xxx.xxx/24 -c
>/home/msmythe/snort/snort-2.0.0/etc/snort.conf

Well, I said do one or the other.. but you did both.. in any event..
whatever snort.conf you want to use, pick one and stick with it.

>it started initializing rule chains...., no argument to frag2, Stream4
>config, htp_decode, rpc_decode, telnet_decode, etc, but sais the following
>error messsage: database: mysql: Can´t connect..... but i think due i didn´t
>finished to install mysql yet?

Yes, but you can fix that by disabling the mysql logging in the snort.conf
and change the logging method to whatever you like.

For starters I'd just turn off any of the database output statements, and
turn on:

output log_tcpdump: tcpdump.log

Either that or if you just want to test snort, run it without the -d
option, it will run in console mode and dump alerts to the screen.