[Snort-users] UPnP service discover attempt

Mark Williamson mark at ...9376...
Thu Jun 5 07:44:10 EDT 2003

Greetings,

    There are two hosts on this network that every 5 seconds or so cause
snort to alert

            [**] [1:1917:4] SCAN UPnP service discover attempt [**]
            [Classification: Detection of a Network Scan] [Priority: 3]

each alert is repeated 3 times from each host to the same destination
(the gateway router on this network)

Both of the hosts are running Windows XP and Snort is running on
Slackware 9.0.0

I see on the snort.org site what this is SID:1917 - but the part that
troubles me is the False Positive and False Negative sections -

        False Positives: A scanner may be used in a security audit.
        False Negatives: None Known.

If this is the case why am i seeing these hosts "ticking" like this?

Any help on this matter would be much appreciated, I've rtfm and googled
and checked the mail archive yet i find no answers to my quandry.

Thanks again,

Mark