[Snort-users] Configuring Snort on LAN

JP Vossen vossenjp at ...8683...
Tue Jun 3 21:41:02 EDT 2003

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 snort-users-request at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:

> Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 15:40:04 +0300
> From: Robert Golovniov <golovniov at ...9291...>
> To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: [Snort-users] Configuring Snort on LAN
>
> Hello snort-users,
>
>   I  am  sitting  on  a LAN workstation and would like to know whether
>   there  are any attempts to connect to my machine (for example, via a
>   remote  admin program) or whether there is any program sitting here,
>   which  is  trying  to send unauthorized information from my machine.
>   I  would  also  be  interested  in  any attempts to scan my ports or
>   run/stop  any  services  here  without  my  knowledge.  How should I
>   configure Snort (via IDScenter) and what rules should I use?

Sounds to me like what you want is Zone Alarm.  It's much easier to install
configure and run than Snort and it will do *exactly* what you ask for above.
Snort can do all of those things too, just not nearly as easily.

There are free for personal use and commerrcial versions avilable. [0]  It's
the prefect tool for your need, I highly recommend you check it out.

Later,
JP

[0] http://www.zonelabs.com/
JP Vossen, CISSP              |:::======|         jp{at}jpsdomain{dot}org
"The software said it requires Windows XP or better, so I installed
Linux..."