[Snort-users] Performance Testing

Hutchinson, Andrew andrew.hutchinson at ...759...
Thu Jul 31 09:22:27 EDT 2003

Here are a couple things that are useful -

1. Download, install, and run a full-blown Nessus scan past the sensor.
It'll set off some alarms (understatement intended).
2. Download, install, and run hping2.  Craft some packets that match
specific rules, and run  them past  the sensor to see if the results are
as expected.
3. Test the portscan and stream preprocessors with various nmap scans.

HTH,

Andrew

Andrew Hutchinson - Network Security
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
(615) 936-2856

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Aaron Babalola [mailto:roniebabs at ...131...]
	Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 2:31 PM
	To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
	Subject: [Snort-users] Performance Testing

	Hi
	I need assistance in testing the performance of my snort IDS, i
have activated some rules, but the only test i can is port scanner. I
need someone to suggest the necessary tools and methology to test that
mu IDSis really working
	OLusola

  _____

	Do you Yahoo!?
	Yahoo! SiteBuilder
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=10469/*http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com>  -
Free, easy-to-use web site design software