[Snort-users] filters

Gary Danko GDanko at ...9744...
Tue Jul 29 11:05:02 EDT 2003

Odd. I created a BPF file based on those instructions and snort refused to
start when I used the -F switch and pointed to that file!

-----Original Message-----
From: Hutchinson, Andrew [mailto:andrew.hutchinson at ...759...]
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 10:41 AM
To: Scotts Email; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] filters

If you install tcpdump, then type 'man tcpdump', it will give you a good
overview.  Also, if you buy Northcutt's book "Network Intrusion Detection",
it has a nice section reviewing bpf and showing how to do some useful
logical bitmasking operations to find certain traffic types.

HTH,

Andrew
Andrew Hutchinson - Network Security
Vanderbilt University Medical Center