[Snort-users] Snort as a gigabit sensor ... on a Sun box

Erek Adams erek at ...950...
Tue Jul 29 04:18:04 EDT 2003

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, twig les wrote:

> Hey all, since the crowd is chatting about gigabit sensors, can
> anyone tell me if they are using a Sun box to get anything over
> 150Mbps, maybe up to 300?  I don't know much about Sun hardware
> and would prefer to avoid dropping $20,000 x 2.  This box will
> have to run (sigh) Solaris 8.

It'll be ok.  :)  And if you just need the good ole 'ps -auxww' back, make
sure that /usr/ucb is up front in the path.  :)

If you can swing it, go Fiber.  That will make your life quite a bit
easier.  If not, throw quad ether (qfe) at it.  Of course the other
standards apply:  lotsa ram, fast disk, lotsa CPU, etc...  And another
note:  Don't try to use a Netra.  Great boxes, just not cut out for that
much traffic.  I think if one saw that much traffic, it would change color
to yellow and run the other way.  :)

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams