[Snort-users] Snort as Gigabit Sensor

Hutchinson, Andrew andrew.hutchinson at ...759...
Fri Jul 25 06:41:04 EDT 2003

I have a couple of items on this:

- I'm using Intel Pro/1000F adapters with great success.  The host it is
running on is a Dual PIII-850 machine w/ 256MB RAM, and sees sustained
traffic in the 50Mbit/s range all day (8-5), with peaks to the 100Mbit/s
range.  I generally run < 1% packet loss, even running spp_portscan and
a fairly complete ruleset.  OS is RH7.3, 2.4.18smp kernel, compiled w/
only what was absolutely necessary.  NIC driver is a loadable module
though (not static).

- Jason points out that Gb Ethernet is common these days, and it is.
However, people needing true Gbit IDS are rarer (though not by any means
nonexistant - I'm sure that there are a number of people on this list
that truly need Gbit IDS).   I can't count the number of times that
people told me "I need a Gigabit Firewall" or "I need a Gigabit ID
sensor", and then I graph traffic for a week and discover that they're
pushing less than 10Mbit average through the connection in question.  In
one case, the group that "HAD to have a Gigabit firewall" was averaging
less than 200 kb/s through their connection.  Just because the fat pipe
is there doesn't mean it's full.  :-)

Andrew Hutchinson - Network Security
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
(615) 936-2856