[Snort-users] New snortcenter project idea

Kerry Cox kerry.cox at ...9602...
Thu Jul 24 16:25:13 EDT 2003

I'm all in favor of moving forward on a project such as this. I
m not a coder, but would be happy to help with the documentation and
beta testing. I agree that something more robust and fast moving needs
to be available as most crackers are right there in the game.
I'd also like to have something to show management that could replace
the piece of crap Cisco IDS Event Viewer.
Let me know what I can do to help.
KJ

On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 13:14, Kevin Peuhkurinen wrote:
> Back in June, Roy Rapopart said about Snortcenter:
>
> "So hey, it's the Open Source world, right? So I shouldn't complain if
> I'm not willing to help? You betcha.  Fear the unemployed sysadmin who
> knows PHP and MySQL.  I've sent Mr. Dens some emails with the problems
> I've found and how I've fixed them.  If he decides to move over to a
> more cooperative development environment (say, sourceforge?), I'll be
> happy to contribute code."
>
> It seems to me that the community needs an open source GUI for Snort.
> Unfortunately, IDS Policy Manager is crap, is Win32 only, and isn't open
> source anyway.   Snortcenter is as close as we have to a working OSS
> GUI.   Since the author doesn't seem to have the time to work on it, I
> suggest that we start a new project, probably using SourceForge,
> beginning with Snortcenter as the base code.   That's the beauty of the
> GPL -- we're allowed to do that.  It would be nice to have Stefan's
> blessing, but we don't need it.   Since Roy has already done some work
> on it, I would nominate him to head up the project.  I'll be happy to
> help with it.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts on this?
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin