[Snort-users] Snort as Gigabit Sensor

Jeff jcoppock1 at ...5068...
Thu Jul 24 15:29:12 EDT 2003

Banniza Robert, 2003-Jul-24 13:43 -0500:
> Anyone have any good pointers on tuning Linux (Redhat 9) as a gigabit
> sensor? Currently, we are using a Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5703
> Gigabit Ethernet (TG3 kernel module) Netgear card as the sniffing card. We
> have set up a span port so that we can see all traffic on a Cisco 6509. The
> sad thing is we are encountering 40% packet loss. The network interfaces
> were statically compiled into the kernel and /etc/sysctl.conf was modified
> with the following to provide larger buffers:
<snip>

Some other posts to this thread talk about getting the max performance
out of a single system, up to 300-500Mbps.  To get a full Gig (well
700Mbps or so anyway) of IDS traffic you'll need to load balance a
server farm.  Check out the Nortel Alteon Web Switches which have IDS
Load Balancing.  You can configure multiple IDS groups, each group is
a farm of servers.  The load balancing will balance the load by
session, sending each server different packets but keeping the packets
from the same session on the same server.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User