[Snort-users] New snortcenter project idea

Kevin Peuhkurinen kevin.peuhkurinen at ...7732...
Thu Jul 24 12:15:40 EDT 2003

Back in June, Roy Rapopart said about Snortcenter:

"So hey, it's the Open Source world, right? So I shouldn't complain if
I'm not willing to help? You betcha.  Fear the unemployed sysadmin who
knows PHP and MySQL.  I've sent Mr. Dens some emails with the problems
I've found and how I've fixed them.  If he decides to move over to a
more cooperative development environment (say, sourceforge?), I'll be
happy to contribute code."

It seems to me that the community needs an open source GUI for Snort.
Unfortunately, IDS Policy Manager is crap, is Win32 only, and isn't open
source anyway.   Snortcenter is as close as we have to a working OSS
GUI.   Since the author doesn't seem to have the time to work on it, I
suggest that we start a new project, probably using SourceForge,
beginning with Snortcenter as the base code.   That's the beauty of the
GPL -- we're allowed to do that.  It would be nice to have Stefan's
blessing, but we don't need it.   Since Roy has already done some work
on it, I would nominate him to head up the project.  I'll be happy to
help with it.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Kevin