[Snort-users] eth1 and eth2 Breaks Default Route

John Crain port123tcp at ...131...
Tue Jul 22 13:08:15 EDT 2003

There was a typo in the original message.  The
correction follows:

A buddy of mine asked the following question on
comp.os.linux.networking, but those folks don't fully
understand why an interface would want to be set to
0.0.0.0/0. If anyone can shed some light on a fix, I'd
like to know. Here's the original question:

I have Red Hat 9 on an X86 with three (3) interfaces
working as an IDS.  eth0 is my management interface
with a live IP address.  eth1 and eth2 both have their
IP addresses set to 0.0.0.0/0 for data collection.
All IP addresses are set in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth?.

When the box boots up my default route is shot through
eth2 (should be eth0) even though I have my GATEWAY
keyword set to the gateway I want. The following are
my ifcfg-eth? entries:

     DEVICE=eth0
     onfiltered=yes
     BOOTPROTO=static
     IPADDR=1.2.3.4
     NETMASK=255.255.255.0
     GATEWAY=1.2.3.1

     DEVICE=eth1
     BOOTPROTO=static
     BROADCAST=255.255.255.255
     IPADDR=0.0.0.0
     NETMASK=0.0.0.0
     NETWORK=0.0.0.0
     onfiltered=yes
     GATEWAY=1.2.3.1

     DEVICE=eth2
     BOOTPROTO=static
     BROADCAST=255.255.255.255
     IPADDR=0.0.0.0
     NETMASK=0.0.0.0
     NETWORK=0.0.0.0
     onfiltered=yes
     GATEWAY=1.2.3.1

I added "GATEWAY=1.2.3.1" to ifcfg-eth1 and ifcfg-eth2
to see if that would fix things.  It doesn't...

Q1: How do I get the system to recognize the proper
gateway as specified in ifcfg-eth0?
Q2: Is there a way to tell an interface to boot in
promiscous mode?  I'm thinking there is a keyword that
can be placed in ifcfg-eth?, but I can't find any
reference to that...