[Snort-users] SNORT on Solaris

Erek Adams erek at ...950...
Tue Jul 22 04:44:02 EDT 2003

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, [iso-8859-1] Dani�l Haslinger wrote:

> I have to get SNORT running on a Solaris 8, but it won't let me install
> it correct. In fact the installation goes wrong because it can't compile
> executeables as far as I can see ...
>
> Anyone here who has done such a thing lately or know how I can figure it
> out?

Yep.  Quite common.  In fact, it's documented in about every Solaris FAQ
that I've ever seen [0].

Quite simply:  the 'cc' program on Solaris is nothing more than a shell
script that prints 'language optional software not installed'.

Solution(s):

  *  Goto http://www.sunfreeware.com/ and snag the gcc compiler for your
Solaris 8 (sparc or intel) box.  Install it, and then try to build Snort.
  *  Snag the Sun compiler from Sun's website [1].  It's a 60 day eval.
for free.

One useful hint:  Make sure that /usr/ccs/bin is the last thing in your
path.  It'll save you a lot of heartache.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams

[0]	http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2.html