[Snort-users] Windows: Running Snort at boot time, that is without logging in

Scot Scot scotw at ...125...
Thu Jul 17 18:25:19 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Always Bishan" <bishan4u at ...1396...>
To: <snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 9:20 AM
Subject: [Snort-users] Windows: Running Snort at boot time, that is without
logging in

> Hi Snorters,
>
> I've one windows sensor running on windows 2000 and
> alerting into a MySQL database on a linux server, but
> it stops when I logout.
> How can I run snort such that it keeps on running even
> when I logout?
> example IIS webserver which runs even if noody has
> logged in the server.
>
> Any clues, welcome
>
> Regards,
> Bishan

Option 1:
---------

Use snort /service /install command line option

Michael Steele has some documentation here you should take a look at:
http://www.silicondefense.com/support/windows/documentation.php

Note: Verify the snort service is configured to start automatically on boot
in the service control manager.
Note: Depending on your Snort build this option may be buggy

Option 2:
---------

Use Instsrv.exe and Srvany.exe from the Windows NT/2K resource kit

Michael Steele threw a how-to together a long time ago, it's somewhere on
this page:
http://www.snort.org/docs/acid-win32.html
Note: Verify the snort service is configured to start automatically on boot
in the service control manager.

Option 3:
---------

Step 1 - Create a snortstart.bat (or whatever you want to call it) file with
your snort command line in it.

Step 2 - Click on Start-->Settings-->Control Panel-->Scheduled Tasks-->Add
Scheduled Task--> Click Next -->Browse out to your snort.bat file, select
it, click Open,-->Select the radial option to Perform this task: "When my
computer starts".--> Click Next-->enter your password & password
confirmation, click Next --> Click Finish.... Wa-Laa

Just my 2.0135 cents worth (tax included)
Scot Wiedenfeld