[Snort-users] barnyard questions about mysql

Steve Knoch sknoch at ...7864...
Tue Jul 15 10:32:05 EDT 2003

Scott,

I got it to work when I followed the following post from a couple of months ago. I also attached my edited barnyard configure file.

Steve

See below:
On 6/01/03 Guy asked:

> rh9 -mysql- snort- acid installed as per Patrick Harpers excellent install
>  doc on snort web site
>  trying to hook in barnyard
>  using
>  ./configure --enable-mysql
--with-mysql-libraries=/usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql
>   --with-mysql-includes=/usr/local/mysql/include/mysql
>
>  >**********************************************
>  > ERROR: unable to find mysqlclient library
>  > checked in the following places
>  > /usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql
>  >**********************************************
>
>  libmysqlclient.so is actually in this location yet the configure fails
>
>  searched the archives...
>  ideas?
>
>  Guy Witney Krocker

I am now trying to install barnyard with MySQL 4.0.12 and ran into the
same problem.

But I think I have a fix. In MySQL 4.0 they appear to have changed the
librarie function calls.

If you edit the barnyard config file and change all occurances of
"mysql_connect" to "my_connect" the configuration and compilation
will complete without this error.

I am having a different error when I try to run barnyard, but I don't
think that it's related to this and is going to be the subject of a
different email.
--
Timothy W. Foreman   ~   System Administrator   ~   tforeman at ...9429...
Internet Broadcasting Systems ~ (651) 365-4181 ~ http://www.ibsys.com/

>>> "Scott Renna" <srenna at ...9588...> 07/15/03 11:20AM >>>
Hello,

So I was reading through the documentation on barnyard, specifically the
FAQ about how it does not come by default with database support.  I went
to begin recompiling it(as it had noticed nothing was being logged to
the database) and I got this message:

  ERROR: unable to find mysqlclient library
  checked in the following places
        /usr/local/lib/mysql

XXXXXX# cd /usr/local/lib
XXXXXX# ls mysql*
libdbug.a               libmyisam.a             libmysqlclient.so
libmysqlclient_r.so     libmysys.a
libheap.a               libmyisammrg.a          libmysqlclient.so.12
libmysqlclient_r.so.12  libnisam.a
libmerge.a              libmysqlclient.a        libmysqlclient_r.a
libmystrings.a          libvio.a

I do have the mysql client installed, here's a section of my pkg_info:

mysql-client-4.0.13 Multithreaded SQL database (client)
mysql-server-4.0.13_1 Multithreaded SQL database (server)

Anyone else run into this problem before?

Scott Renna
Head Systems Administrator
Dynamic Animation Systems
703-503-0500