[Snort-users] FATAL ERROR: OpenLogFile:::Too many links

JP Vossen vossenjp at ...8683...
Tue Jul 15 09:08:09 EDT 2003

A colleague is getting the following error, after which Snort dies.  Google,
this list archive, the FAQ and a quick look at the source did not help.

snort: FATAL ERROR: OpenLogFile() =>mkdir(/var/log/snort/64.xxx.xxx.xxx) log
directory: Too many links

He also tells me that "/var/log/snort is chock full of subdirectories."

He's running snort-2.0.0.tar.gz compiled from scratch on RedHat 9.0 with a
pretty simple command line:
	snort -D -i eth0 -c /%path_to_snort.conf%

I can get the conf file if anyone cares.

Anyone have any idea?
JP
JP Vossen, CISSP              |:::======|         jp{at}jpsdomain{dot}org
"The software said it requires Windows XP or better, so I installed
Linux..."