[Snort-users] fun with receive only cables and hubs

Frank Knobbe fknobbe at ...652...
Mon Jul 14 15:13:42 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-14 at 16:09, Scott Renna wrote:
> Well I had gotten my receive-only cable working over a hub for the time
> being until I can get my boss to purchase a tap or I can locate
> capactiors.  Here's the thing, all of a sudden, I'm getting "No Carrier"
> on the interface with the receive-only cable.  The hub no longer
> recognizes a link while before it had no problems.  Has anyone else seen
> this behavior before?  I'm running FreeBSD4.8.

I'm not sure which cable you are using (Snort FAQ or the one with a
capacitor inline), but in either case, you may have a bad crimp
connection. Just recrimp the ends and see if that helps.

I know this sounds pretty obvious, and you may have done that already,
but that's just what it look like :)

Regards,
Frank