[Snort-users] anyone got a good snort startup script?

Everist, Benjamin S. (NASWI) EveristB at ...8190...
Fri Jul 11 13:56:32 EDT 2003

In FreeBSD, put your script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/whatever.sh and give it
execute permissions.  On boot and shutdown, FreeBSD will call the script
with a start or a stop argument depending.  So I use the following:

#cat /usr/local/etc/rc.d/local.sh

#!/bin/sh

case "$1" in
        start)
                cd /usr/local/mysql && ./bin/safe_mysqld & \
                > /dev/null && echo -n ' started mysqld '
                sleep 3
                if [ -x /usr/local/bin/snort ]; then
                /usr/local/bin/snort -D -i xl0 -u snort -g snort -c \
                /usr/local/snort-2.0.0/etc/snort.conf \
                > /dev/null && echo -n ' -*> Snort! <*-' && echo ""
                fi
                ;;
        stop)
                /usr/bin/killall snort
                /usr/bin/killall mysqld
                ;;
        *)
                echo ""
                echo "Usage: `basename $0` {start|stop}"
                echo ""
                ;;
esac

HTH,