[Snort-users] Memory Leak

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Fri Jul 11 13:16:13 EDT 2003

At 09:05 AM 7/11/2003 -0700, Jim Gifford wrote:
>After a day of running and a half of running snort goes up to 140+mb and
>locks the system up.
>
>Any suggestions or patches.

Well, I'd first suggest turning off spp_conversation and spp_portscan2 as a
quick test to see if they are involved. These two are pretty memory hungry.
They might not be your problem, but it's a very quick and easy to turn them
off and see what happens.

I've got snort 2.0 running on an OpenBSD box with these two turned off (due
to low-end hardware) and my memory use is relatively stable. In fact, it
declined slightly between the two checks I made today (11am and 4pm).