[Snort-users] net layout

sauron sauron at ...9613...
Mon Jul 7 22:20:06 EDT 2003

hi, i have a adsl connection whith static ip. i want to deploy an ids system
but i have my dudes about it design, so i came here to ask for advice.

my net right now look like this.

                           $$$$$$$$$
                      $                     $
                  $       Internet         $
                  $                            $
                     $                      $
                         $$$$$$$$$
                   -------------------
                   | Adsl modem   |
                    ------------------
                             =======>   ( H  U  B )
                                                   |    |    |
                                                   |    |    |
                                                   |    |    |
                                                 /      |     \
                                               /        |       \---swich->LAN
                                             /          |
                                           /            (IDS)

                                     ( Firewall)

1. I guess the firewall must be rigth behind the adsl modem (which is always
on) and this modem should forward all the traffic to the firewall.

2. The IDS placement i think is ok.

3. The switch LAN should be connect directly to the firewall?

4. the order would be this:
internet->modem->firewall->Hub->IDS

                                  |->Switch->LAN      ?

5. if the order is right in 4, the modem should redirect all the traffic to
the firewall, its doing NAT at the moment.

Well, that is. Thank for yours answers.