[Snort-users] (no subject)

Erek Adams erek at ...950...
Mon Jul 7 07:42:12 EDT 2003

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, Kristian Ro wrote:

> Ive got a problem here.Its the first time ive installed and run
> snort.Everything went ok,no errors,iam even using databse logging with
> acid and everythings fine,no errors no nothing,the only thing is that
> SNORT doesnt do anything,doesnt log no matter if im using database or
> syslog ot file or whateva......I dont have no firewall no nothing just a
> clean install of FreeBSD 4.6.Im using snort-2.0.0rc4.

Upgrade to the release version, v2.0 [0].

Remove the "-D" from the command line if it's there.  That forks Snort
into dameon mode and kills any output to the screen.

Start simple.  Get Snort to work first.  Forget about the DB.  Once you
have Snort working you can easily figure out your config problems.

You probably have your DB output line in snort.conf wrong.  Make sure the
correct user and password are there.  Make sure that the user has the
correct permissions in the DB.  And remember its 'user at ...780...' not just
'user' so you must make sure 'user at ...780...' has permissions.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams

[0]	http://www.snort.org/dl/snort-2.0.0.tar.gz