[Snort-users] IDS placement

Always Bishan bishan4u at ...1396...
Sun Jul 6 23:49:08 EDT 2003

Hi Snorters,

We have to deploy Snort at our clients network, their
network diagram is as follows:

--------------
|ISP(64 Kbps)|
--------------

------------------- NIC4  -------     --------------
|IPtables Firewall|-------| Hub |-----| FTP server |
-------------------       -------     --------------
 |NIC2           |NIC3                 Redhat Linux
 |               |
 |               |
 |               |
-------------   ------------------
| Switch    |   | Hub and Switch |-----
-------------   ------------------    |
 |                            |       |
 |                            | Subnet2
------------
| Subnet 1 |
------------
(with 1 Linux m/c)

Now the queries are:
1. What would be the best place to deploy Snort
sensors and Manager? PLease do send your expert
commnets!
2. The switches don't have a port mirror, so how do I
monitor traffic there?
3. What changes shall I make in the network diagram to
implement the best possible solution?

Note: Client doesnot want to spend anything extra on
hardware.

Waiting eagerly for reply.

Regards,
Bishan