[Snort-users] Can snort be used for single host Intrusion Detection?(A newbie Question)

Andrew R. Baker andrewb at ...950...
Sun Jul 6 08:31:13 EDT 2003

Erek Adams wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, [iso-8859-1] Louis Lam wrote:
>

>>Okay, thanks, I see what you mean. I tried that too
>>but still manage to pick up attack traffic to another
>>host. Here is the scenario:
>>
>>Suppose the host that has snort installed is
>>192.168.1.10, and i set my HOME_NET to
>>192.168.1.10/32.
>>
>>Then i tried to use another machine 192.168.1.20 to
>>nmap another machine 192.168.1.30, the snort on
>>192.168.1.10 still can pick up the traffic and
>>generate alerts.
>>
>>I understand that snort is more of a Netword based
>>IDS, but lets assume that i'm in a sad case where I
>>can't even trust my neighbours in the same network.
>>what other configuration needs to be done?
>

> Honestly it sounds like a misconfig issue.  Once you make the change in
> snort.conf, are you restarting Snort?  If you're not, you need to.  What
> is your EXTERNAL_NET set to?  If it's still at 'any' change it to
> '!$HOME_NET'.

One other thing that should be considered when running Snort to only
protect a single host is to use the '-p' command line switch to disable
promiscuous mode sniffing.  Doing so will cause Snort to only see those
packets addressed to the interface it is running on.

-A