[Snort-users] Re: [Snort-sigs] capturing and inspecting an email!

Jon Baer security at ...9153...
Fri Jul 4 18:29:06 EDT 2003

you can try using the session keyword in your alerts:

alert tcp any any -> any 110 (msg: "Password string"; content: "password"; session: printable;)

- jon

pgp key: http://www.jonbaer.net/jonbaer.asc
fingerprint: F438 A47E C45E 8B27 F68C 1F9B 41DB DB8B 9A0C AF47

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Héroux, Christian
  To: snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net
  Sent: Friday, July 04, 2003 3:09 PM
  Subject: [Snort-sigs] capturing and inspecting an email!

  Hello all !

        I would like to make a rule not base on a single packet but on the whole sequence of packet forming an email to check for the word "password" and log that email. I have checked the rules and they only inspect at the level packet! How do you use the preprocess Stream4 when writing a rule?

  Can you point out some exemple with preprocess Stream4 and Stream4_Reassemble.

  Thanks