[Snort-users] Optimizing Linux Kernel for Snort & Hardware

Miguel Rosales MRosales at ...8449...
Fri Jul 4 14:00:08 EDT 2003

Somebody knows the criteria that were due to consider to determine the
proportions the necessary hardware for different scenes where it is desired
to use snort. Something that it relates for example the number of hosts in
my $HOME_NET respect to the memory or necessary processor.

TIA.

// Miguel

|---------+---------------------------------------->
|         |           Edin Dizdarevic              |
|         |           <edin.dizdarevic at ...9607...|
|         |           Systems.de>                  |
|         |           Sent by:                     |
|         |           snort-users-admin at ...635...|
|         |           eforge.net                   |
|         |                                        |
|         |                                        |
|         |           04-07-2003 15:07             |
|         |           Please respond to            |
|         |           edin.dizdarevic              |
|         |                                        |
|---------+---------------------------------------->
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                     |
  |       To:       Sam Evans <sam at ...5202...>                                                       |
  |       cc:       snort <snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net>                                           |
  |       Subject:  Re: [Snort-users] Optimizing Linux Kernel for Snort                                 |

Sam Evans wrote:
> Greetings All, and Happy Fourth of July to all the US Readers out there.
> :)
>
> I've got a question regarding optimizing a Linux 2.4.18 Kernel to get
> the best performance for snort.  Does anyone have any tips?

Yeah, use OpenBSD ;)

just kidding, but don't forget this

<*> Packet socket
[*]   Packet socket: mmapped IO

See the postings with topics like "Snort dropping packets..."

and using A LOT of memory is the best thing to do.

Have fun,

Edin

--
Edin Dizdarevic