[Snort-users] Newbie from Perth Australia - in the Pig Pen

Erek Adams erek at ...950...
Fri Jul 4 04:42:24 EDT 2003

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, George, Rodney wrote:

> Greetings all Snort users from the new kid in the Pig Pen.

Welcome to our world.  :)

> I have installed Snort in our DMZ and I'm getting some alerts etc I need
> some suggestions on how to interpret the alerts and determine their
> significance.
>
> Web Dav, ICMP, SMTP etc
>
> Any help would be greaty appreciated.
>
> Oh yeh I have bought the Snort Book by Brian Casswell - its great but I
> need to develop some interpretation skills.

Make use of Amazon and snag these:

TCP/IP Illustrated:

Network Intrusion Detection: An Analyst's Handbook

Intrusion Signatures and Analysis

Now, granted they aren't "light" reading but they are excellent.  TCP/IP
Illustrated will become your friend.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams