[Snort-users] Can snort be used for single host Intrusion Detection?(A newbie Question)

Erek Adams erek at ...950...
Thu Jul 3 13:17:14 EDT 2003

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, [iso-8859-1] Louis Lam wrote:

> Okay, thanks, I see what you mean. I tried that too
> but still manage to pick up attack traffic to another
> host. Here is the scenario:
>
> Suppose the host that has snort installed is
> 192.168.1.10, and i set my HOME_NET to
> 192.168.1.10/32.
>
> Then i tried to use another machine 192.168.1.20 to
> nmap another machine 192.168.1.30, the snort on
> 192.168.1.10 still can pick up the traffic and
> generate alerts.
>
> I understand that snort is more of a Netword based
> IDS, but lets assume that i'm in a sad case where I
> can't even trust my neighbours in the same network.
> what other configuration needs to be done?

Honestly it sounds like a misconfig issue.  Once you make the change in
snort.conf, are you restarting Snort?  If you're not, you need to.  What
is your EXTERNAL_NET set to?  If it's still at 'any' change it to
'!$HOME_NET'.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams