[Snort-users] eth0 without ip ..

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at ...3877...
Fri Jan 31 11:37:03 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, David Alonso De La Vega Tapage wrote:

> Hi all ..
>
> In my RH 7.2 box have already installed snort + mysql + acid ..  using
>  my eth0 with my X.X.X.8 address ..  now prepared my ISD box to do all
> out of my local lan ..  and need to up the NIC without any IP addres ..
>
> Do /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up promisc .. ?  it's all or need other thing to
> do ..  because in this moment mi NIC have my internal IP ..
>
> Need to erase this IP and after it configure my nic with up and promisc
> option .
>
> Thanx in advance for all sogguestions and links ..
>
> Regards,
>
> David Alonso
David,

# ifconfig eth0 up

Should do it.  If you want to store the configuration so that RedHat will
re-up the interface automatically, make the following entry in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:

DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static

You'll probably want two interfaces for this box, one to sniff, and one to
use as a service interface.

HTH.