[Snort-users] Pass Rules Questions

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Thu Jan 30 12:48:03 EST 2003

First, pass rules will not affect spp_portscan2, or any other preprocessor.
Pass rules affect the traffic seen by other rules. If you want to filter
stuff so that the preprocessors don't see them, you'll have to do that with
bpf type filtering.

Now the source of the "scan" is  www.xxx.yyy.zzz..  but that's not part of
your IGNORE_PORTSCAN set.

Thus,  www.xxx.yyy.zzz is being reported as scanning because the pass rule
does not affect preprocessors, and the source of the scan is not in your
ignore set.

That said, I've been having considerable difficulty making spp_portscan2
behave in a sane manner. It fires off as detecting a "syn-ack" scan every
time a web browser in my network opens a web-page with more embedded images
than the port_limit in the portscan2 preprocessor is set to, somehow
neglecting to pay attention to the fact that the connection was initaited
from HOME_NET first. I've actually disabled portscan2 in favor of spade
which is much more flexible, and reasonable about it's behavior.