[Snort-users] rule+snort updates?

Gonzalez, Albert albert.gonzalez at ...7950...
Thu Jan 30 08:35:05 EST 2003

How will this script rewrite snort.conf ?

Maybe i don't know bash, but i see nothing there.

---script---
#!/bin/bash
# Update rules
cd /tmp		* changing directories*
rm -rf rules	* removing previous rules if they exist*
/usr/bin/wget http://www.snort.org/downloads/snortrules.tar.gz	*wget'ing
snortrules (old URL)*
tar -xvzf snortrules.tar.gz	* decompressing archive *
mv /tmp/rules/* /etc/snort/rules	* move rules to your rules
directory, assuming you use /etc/snort/rules *
---end script---

I personally don't see how that will overwrite snort.conf.

I suggest using oinkmaster to update your rules, its alot better than this
bash script.
Or you can manually do it, it isn't really all that hard.

Cheers
  Alberto Gonzalez.