snort.org recommended reading? (was Re: [Snort-users] General Snort Help!)

Hicks, John JHicks at ...5857...
Fri Jan 24 07:06:11 EST 2003

The 2 folowing books from Stephen Northcut et al (SANS/GIAC) are among my
top recommendations, mainly because it focuses on ID/IA, not just Snort. It
goes over logs from many devices as are usually found, however, it still
provides most examples in Snort format as it's most common.

Intrusion Signatures and Analysis
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735710635/ref=pd_bxgy_text_1/
104-5618746-4066301?v=glance&s=books

Network Intrusion Detection (3rd Edition)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735712654/ref=pd_sim_books_1/
104-5618746-4066301?v=glance&s=books

cheers,
John

-----Original Message-----
From: twig les [mailto:twigles at ...131...]
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 11:36 PM
To: Erek Adams; Lorraine Cannavale
Cc: 'snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net'
Subject: snort.org recommended reading? (was Re: [Snort-users] General
Snort Help!)

I was reading this message and thinking that maybe it
would be a good idea for snort.org to have a little
tab under the /docs page for recommended reading
(books).  I didn't want to suggest it since snort
developers may not want to seem to endorse certain
authors, but then Ereks reply named 4 books, the first
3 which had popped into my head.  Specifically the two
Northcutts and the Stevens books.

Just a thought.

=====