[Snort-users] Snort Win32 Process Stalling

Erek Adams erek at ...950...
Fri Jan 24 05:48:05 EST 2003

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Bryce Stenberg wrote:

>  I too had been running snort fine for some time. When I upgraded an NT4
> server to 1.9.0-ODBC-MySQL-WIN32 (Build 209) it ran OK for a week or so then
> consumed most of the CPU cycles and brought server to it's knees until snort
> was stopped. Sounds similar to Steven's experience. And I don't run it as a
> service, it just log to file and I only have about 5 rules looking for
> specific outgoing directory names. Needless to say Snort is not used now,
> but I'd be also interested in any tips to get it stable enough to run again
> (but can't afford to have this server breaking).

I find this really odd.  There are a fair number of folks using Snort on
Win32 systems and most of those are fairly stable for a Win32 system.
Granted, there aren't large numbers of folks running with ODBC, but there
are some.  One thing that I'd like to see is if the version [0] on
snort.org has the same problem.  Instead of having seperate installs, it's
a all in one which installs the version you select.

If it does, then maybe--just maybe, the problem lies in the ODBC
drivers/version that you are running.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams