[Snort-users] Re: [Snort-sigs] Snort on FTP server

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Wed Jan 22 11:50:04 EST 2003

First, I'm moving this over to snort-users.. which is where it belongs.
snort-sigs is for signature development related issues.

Second, sure, you can run snort on any pc at any point in your network. It
all depends on what you want snort to monitor. The most common deployment
monitors a whole network, thus snort is commonly installed at the gateway,
but there's no reason it can't monitor a point inside the network.

Snort should see all the traffic present on the FTP server's nic, but
because your DSL router's 3 ethernet ports are likely a switch, it will not
be able to monitor attacks against any other machine in the network.

Also since the FTP server is NAT'ed by a typical DSL/cable router box, I
highly doubt it will be probed on any ports other than ones which your
router is manualy configured to forward to the FTP server. It's impossible
for anyone outside to specifically address your FTP server, thus it should
be impossible for me to probe a random subset of ports on your FTP box from
the outside.

There is one major drawback of running it on the same machine, if the FTP
server gets hacked, the attacker, if smart, can now blank your snort logs.