[Snort-users] General Snort Help! Good Book List

Wed Jan 22 04:10:02 EST 2003

Gregory W. Ratcliff wrote:
> Erek,
>
> Good List!
>
> Be sure to include:
>
> Intrusion Detection with SNORT: Advanced IDS Techniques Using SNORT,
> Apache, MySQL, PHP, and ACID
> by Rafeeq Rehman
>     ISBN 0131407333
>
> (Rafeeq is from Argus...so I may be a _bit_ biased)
>
> Gregory W. Ratcliff
> Argus Network Security Services Inc.
> www.argusnetsec.com

> In my opinion, in order of need/usefulness:
>
> TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1 The Protocols by W. Richard Stevens
>      ISBN 0201633469
>
> Network Intrusion Detection An Analyst's Handbook by  Stephen Northcutt
>      ISBN 0735708681
>
> Intrusion Signatures and Analysis by Stephen Northcutt
>      ISBN 0735710635
>
> Intrusion Detection by Rebecca G. Bace
>      ISBN 1578701856
>
> The rest....  Well, just get on a .edu network and learn.  ;-)
>
> Hope that's of some help!

FULL ACK!!! ;)

These books are simply needed. There is also a german book from
Ralf Spenneberg: _Intrusion Detection fuer Linux-Server_ which is
in my opinion the best book about Snort available. For advanced
Snort-users or those who wish to become one. ;) The other IDS-books
have more general approach but still essential.

Regards,

Edin_

--
Edin Dizdarevic