[Snort-users] loading snort 1.9.0

Erek Adams erek at ...950...
Mon Jan 20 06:51:04 EST 2003

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 SecurityAdmin at ...7345... wrote:

> Hi John, I have had a couple files download from snort.org lately that came
> in as .tar.tar - just rename them to .tar.gz which is what they should be.
> They are a compressed file which is why winzip sees them that way. I'm not
> sure why they change the extension on download.

It's because you used IE to download them.  Snag them with _any_ other
browser and they don't get uncompressed on the fly.

The files are really a .tar.gz file which was uncompressed into a .tar
file.  IE managed to mangle the filename and convert it into .tar.tar.
Take off one .tar and you'll be good to go.

Oh, and go get Opera [0].  It'll save you from Internet Exploder.  :)

-----
Erek Adams

[0]	http://www.opera.com/