[Snort-users] loading snort 1.9.0

Erek Adams erek at ...950...
Mon Jan 20 06:31:05 EST 2003

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, jbaird wrote:

> I attempted to load vrer 1.9.0 for the first time yesterday. When I
> executed it, the wpcap.dll file was missing. Where can I find this file?
> Also what is a .tar.tar file and why does my system see it as a zip
> file? Please help!!!

In the words of Douglas Adams:  Don't Panic.

If you would read the docs, you would find the statement "You need WinPcap
if you are installing Snort on a Win32 platform."  A quick Google Search
for 'Snort Windows wpcap.dll' [0] returns 44 results.  The posting that
you need is the 6th one.

As for the tar.tar--Yet another reason not to use Microsoft.  In it's
infinte knowledge of what you 'should' want, IE has converted the .tar.gz
file into a .tar file.  It's not a .zip file, WinZip just recognizes that
a .tar file is.  Simply rename the file to a .tar and use WinZip to open
it.  Or use another browser to download the whole thing again.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams

[0] http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&client=googlet&q=snort+windows+wpcap.dll