[Snort-users] IM Logging - How to?

Gonzalez, Albert albert.gonzalez at ...7950...
Fri Jan 17 10:39:02 EST 2003

I suggest ethereal, you can pass it some BPF filters to
concentrate on exactly what you want to sniff. I have used
it to sniff port 5190 and see what AIM traffic is being sent
on my network.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Shaw [mailto:mshaw at ...3165...]
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2003 1:26 PM
To: Matt Yackley; 'Angel Gabriel'; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] IM Logging - How to?

At 11:44 AM 1/17/2003 -0600, Matt Yackley wrote:
>I believe that there is an IM capture util included with dsniff
>http://naughty.monkey.org/~dugsong/dsniff/ called msgsnarf, but since this
>package is a bit old I don't know how well it would work.
>
>Matt

I haven't had much luck with msgsnarf.  It seems the products and protocols
might have changed since then.

I've used ngrep to snag IM transactions before.  I think AIM is port
5190.  MSN is a different port (can't remember).

IIRC, yahoo's messenger uses http and is much harder to track states,
etc.  Maybe someone else has had better luck.

-Mike