[Snort-users] Cisco switch configuration for sensor

twig les twigles at ...131...
Thu Jan 16 10:12:02 EST 2003

It sounds fine but you almost never see the mistakes
until after they ruin your morning.  There is only one
way to find out if it works....  One thing though,
Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) is used for
loop-prevention at layer 2.  If this is a SOHO setup
with no redundant connections to the switching
infrastructure then you can just turn STP off.  Switch
Port ANalyzer (SPAN) is normally used for sniffing on
Cisco Catalysts but that feature is in the bigger
switches like 6500s.  A 1900, if it is like a 2900
(never used a 1900), should just have port monitoring,
which is a slimmed-down version of SPAN.

=====