[Snort-users] Snort not connecting to MySQL

L. Christopher Luther CLuther at ...6333...
Wed Jan 15 15:12:02 EST 2003

The command line parameters '-A fast' and '-b' will override the 'output
database: ..." option in snort.conf everytime.  Drop these command line
parameters and add the following to snort.conf:

  output alert_fast: alert.fast   [or whatever file name you want to use in
place of alert.fast]
  output log_tcpdump: snort.log   [or whatever file name you want to use in
place of snort.log]

- Christopher

-----Original Message-----
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Snort not connecting to MySQL
From: "Michael J. Ayers" <ayersmj at ...8009...>
To: bamm at ...539...
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Date: 15 Jan 2003 11:31:51 -0800

I am executing snort with the following command line:

/usr/sbin/snort -A fast -b -l /var/log/snort -d -D -i eth0 -c
/etc/snort/snort.conf

It listens on eth0 but should send reports out via eth1 (snort is
running on the firewall).  The command above outputs nothing but the
following:

Initializing Output Plugins!

Then nothing.  No connections to mysql or anything.  But it is working
just fine.  When I check in /var/log/snort I see exactly what I should
be seeing on the snort box itself.