[Snort-users] Snort not connecting to MySQL

Michael J. Ayers ayersmj at ...8009...
Wed Jan 15 11:32:07 EST 2003

I am executing snort with the following command line:

/usr/sbin/snort -A fast -b -l /var/log/snort -d -D -i eth0 -c
/etc/snort/snort.conf

It listens on eth0 but should send reports out via eth1 (snort is
running on the firewall).  The command above outputs nothing but the
following:

Initializing Output Plugins!

Then nothing.  No connections to mysql or anything.  But it is working
just fine.  When I check in /var/log/snort I see exactly what I should
be seeing on the snort box itself.

On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 11:00, Bamm Visscher wrote:
> Please provide more information. Your problem can be caused by numerous misconfigurations. What, if any, errors are you receiving when running snort w/o the -D switch? What is the exact line you are starting snort with? What plugins are enabled in your snort.conf? Etc, etc, etc.
>
> Bammkkkk
>
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 10:37:00AM -0800, Michael J. Ayers wrote:
> > I have snort installed and working for the most part...but the only
> > thing that is not working is it is not connecting to the mysql database
> > to update it.  I have verified that the host running snort CAN access
> > the database...it just seems that snort isn't.  I have quadruple checked
> > the following and it is correct:
> >
> > output database: log, mysql, user=snort password=snort dbname=snort
> > host=10.0.0.2 port=3306
> >
> > Can anyone give me a heads up on how to figure out what is going on here
> > that it is not connecting or how to turn on mysql logging?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > Michael J. Ayers
> > IT Manager
> > Eidogen Inc.
> > ayersmj at ...8009...
> > 626.817.2266

Michael J. Ayers
IT Manager
Eidogen Inc.
ayersmj at ...8009...
626.817.2266

This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and
may contain confidential information. Any review, use, disclosure or
distribution by persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s)
is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient or have any
questions concerning whether or not you  should be receiving this
disclosure, please contact the sender  by reply and destroy all copies
of the original message. Thank you.