[Snort-users] Snort

Erek Adams erek at ...950...
Wed Jan 15 08:38:36 EST 2003

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Steven Williams wrote:

> I'm running Version 1.9.0beta6-ODBC-MySQL-WIN32 (Build 209) on W2K Server. I
> have tried running snort using its inbuilt service, running with firedaemon
> or srvany and no matter what, after about 2 or 3 days the process hangs and
> therefore I cease monitoring my network.
>
> Has anyone else experienced any problems like this, and does anyone have any
> suggestions? I was thinking about downgrading snort versions if I had no
> luck.

Why not upgrade your server?  To a *NIX or *BSD?  ;-)

Seriously, that's odd.  I know there are other folks on the list who don't
have anything like that happening.  Any of you Win32 snorters (Frank,
Michael, Chris, etc.) ever seen that or have any ideas?

Is this [0] the version you are using?  If not, give that a shot.  I don't
think it's the beta6 version...

Is there any way to run Snort under something like GDB so you can get some
idea of what/why/when it died?

-----
Erek Adams

   "When things get weird, the wierd turn pro."   H.S. Thompson

[0]	http://www.snort.org/dl/binaries/1.9.0/Snort-1.9.0-win32.exe